Marc D. Miceli
- Email Us
Marc D. Miceli
Marc D. Miceli focuses his practice on financial matters, including federal and state tax controversy cases and insolvency-related matters, including consumer and business bankruptcy law. Marc routinely counsels individuals and businesses concerning debtor/creditor rights and federal and state tax issues.
Marc is licensed to practice law in New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts.
Education and Experience:
- Boston University School of Law
LL.M. (Taxation) 2001.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.M., 1995; B.M. and B.A., 1994
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Massachusetts State Bar
- United Kingdom (England and Wales) (Solicitor) (non-practicing)
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Co-Author, “Let’s Make a Deal: Purchasing Remnant Assets in Federal Receivership Proceedings,” The Receiver, Issue 5 (October 2017).
- Co-author, “Receiverships: Types, Powers, Benefits and Drawbacks,” AIRA Journal, Volume 31 No. 2 (2017).
- Co-author, “Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors Checklist,” Practical Law, Thompson Reuters (August 2017).
- Co-author, “Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors: Overview,” Practical Law, Thompson Reuters (April 2017).
- Co-author, coordinator and introductory remarks, “The ABCs of ABCs,” sponsored by the Passaic County Bar Association. Passaic County Administration Building, June 5, 2013.
- Co-author, coordinator and introductory remarks, “Alternatives to Bankruptcy,” joint presentation sponsored by the Women’s Divisions of the NJTMA, New York Institute of Credit, the New Jersey Network of IWIRC and the Essex County Bar Association – Debtor/Creditor Section. The Newark Club, March 13, 2013.
- Author, “The Third Circuit Has Spoken: New Jersey Sales Taxes are Nondischargeable ‘Trust Fund’ Taxes Under the Bankruptcy Code,” ABI Committee News, Bankruptcy Taxation Committee Newsletter, Volume 9, Number 4 (December 2012).
- Contributing author, West’s Bankruptcy Exemption Manual, Thompson West Pub. Co., West’s Bankruptcy Series, New Jersey Section, 2007-2010 editions.
- Co-author, “Individual Chapter 11 and Small Business Filings,” New Jersey Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Section’s Twelfth Annual Honorable William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference, April 16, 2010.
- Panelist, “Municipal Tax Liens on Residential Real Estate,” New Jersey Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Section’s Ninth Annual Honorable William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference, April 13, 2007.
- Author, “Shareholder Beware: Don’t Let the Bankruptcy Estate Pay the IRS Without a Fight,” ABI Committee News, Bankruptcy Taxation Committee Newsletter, Volume 4, Number 2 (May 2007).
- One Step Up, Ltd. v. Sam Logistic, Inc., 419 N.J. Super. 500 (App. Div. 2011)
- In re Kara Homes Inc., et al. National City Bank, et al., 363 B.R. 399 (Bkrtcy.D.N.J., 2007)
- In re High Voltage Engineering, et al., 403 R. 163 (Bkrtcy.D.Mass., 2009)
Selected Professional Groups and Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex, Bergen and Passaic County Bar Associations
- Turnaround Management Association
- New York Institute of Credit
- National Association of Federal Equity Receivers
Selected Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Designated one of “Bergen’s Top Lawyers” by (201) Magazine (2014)
- Named as “New Jersey Super Lawyer – Rising Star” by Law & Politics and the publishers of the New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2008 – 2010 (Bankruptcy & Creditor / Debtor Rights Section)